• Wildcat News Debuts

• To return to the NFA home page, click on the LINK located at the top left of the NFA Student Media home page.

“Honeymoon” Is A Trip Of Its Own

Chelsea Northup

On September 18th  indie pop artist Lana Del Rey released her third studio album, “Honeymoon,” in digital, vinyl, and CD format. Featuring haunting vocals and riveting acoustics, this album has been highly anticipated since Del Rey announced it in early January 2015. The 14 song track list includes singles “Honeymoon,” High By The Beach,” “Terrence Loves You,” and “Music To Watch Boys To,” all of which prove how much one artist can grow over the course of a year, but keep a consistency of vintage sound.

Released by Interscope Records, Del Rey pulled inspiration for this album from jazz artist Miles Davis. The influence on this record is especially prevalent on songs “Salvatore,” “24,” “God Knows I Tried,” and “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood.” Similarities to earlier albums “Born To Die and “Paradise can be heard throughout the album through the cinematic violin which is especially prevalent on the title track, “Honeymoon.”

“This album is more mature than “Born To Die,” and has an old-fashioned sound like “Ultraviolence,'” explains upper Morgan Smith. “Honeymoon accompanies vintage guitar riffs with cabaret vocals for a striking timeless sound.

Del Rey often makes allusions to other songs throughout the album.  In “High By The Beach,” she references one of her earliest songs, “Put Me In A Movie.” In “High By The Beach,” Del Rey insists “Lights, camera, acción, I’ll do it on my own.” On “Put Me In A Movie,” she pleads “Lights, camera, acción. You know I can’t make it on my own.” This line alone proves how much she has grown over the course of a few short years. She no longer needs anyone to get by, and she makes it known through her lyrics.

Influences of classic rock can be heard on song “Terrence Loves You,” as Del Rey alludes to David Bowie’s classic “Space Odyssey” in the lines “Ground control to Major Tom, can you hear me all night long? Ground control to Major Tom.” This line is especially fitting in the song since Bowie’s song is also about being alone.

Honeymoon was rumored to have a track list mainly consisting of Lana Del Rey’s unreleased work. Some were excited for this, but Smith commented “I believe her childish unreleased work is rubbish and potentially could have ended her career.” Del Rey’s leaked unreleased work would not have worked on the album seeing as “Honeymoon proves maturity, while her old work consists of lyrics stating that she needs others to get by.

Lonely guitar riffs, especially prevalent on songs “God Knows I Tried,” and “Terrence Loves You,” are common throughout the album, creating a melancholy vibe. Mixed with a combination of lyrics such as “Ever since my baby went away, it’s been the blackest day” and “I lost myself when I lost you” on songs “The Blackest Day” and “Terrence Loves You” respectively, the songs are enough to bring people to tears. The chilling acapella in the beginning of “Music To Watch Boys To” creates an isolated mood.

Though it is an astounding piece of work, pop sounding “High By The Beach” sounds like it does not belong on the vintage-sounding jazzy album, and interlude, Burnt Norton, is a bit boring. Still, Lana Del Rey hit it out of the park on this nostalgic album.