• Wildcat News Debuts

• To return to the NFA home page, click on the LINK located at the top left of the NFA Student Media home page.

Feel the Bern!

Chelsea Northrup, Staff Writer

The 2016 presidential primaries are in full swing, and the two remaining Democratic nominees are Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton. So far, Clinton appears to be the most likely nominee, as she has so far collected the most superdelegates and has won the majority of primary elections.  While the most trustworthy candidate is Sanders, he has maintained the same views since he began his career in politics, it appears that the odds are in Clinton’s favor.

She barely won Connecticut with 51.8% of votes and 28 delegates, only 5.4% more votes and 1 more delegate than Sanders received. However, in other states, she is winning by landslides. In the Alabama primary, Clinton received 77.8% of votes and 44 delegates, while Sanders only received 19.2% of votes and 9 delegates. It is scary that people would consider electing someone who has lied and constantly changed her policies over an honest man who has been fighting for the good of the people since the 1960’s.

According to CNN, Hillary Clinton did not support same sex marriage until recently. In 2000, Clinton said, “Marriage has got historic, religious and moral content that goes back to the beginning of time, and I think a marriage is as a marriage has always been, between a man and a woman.” Clinton went so far as to support the 1996 Defense Of Marriage Act, a piece of legislation barring federal recognition of gay marriage. In 2013, however, Clinton changed her mind on the topic.

As a member of the LGBT community, it is a scary thought that the potential leader of the free world changed her opinion on whether or not I deserve rights. It is sketchy that, with an election to prepare for and the millennials to appeal to, Clinton has taken a radically different side.  Bernie Sanders, however, has always supported same sex marriage.

In a letter Sanders wrote himself in the 70’s, he demanded, “Let us abolish all laws which attempt to impose a particular brand of morality or ‘right’ on people. Let’s abolish all laws dealing with abortion, drugs, sexual behavior (adultery, homosexuality, etc.).” In a time where homosexuality was more frowned upon, Sanders, unlike Clinton, took the side of the LGBT community.

Bernie Sanders has also been fighting against racism since his political career began. According to The Huffington Post, Sanders attended the march on Washington led by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  NPR reports that, at the same time, Hillary Clinton voted in favor of Barry Goldwater, a politician who voted against the Civil Rights Act. Clinton claims to be for equality yet she sided with someone who most certainly was not.

In 2007, Clinton belittled then campaign opponent Barack Obama, saying “His roots to basic American values and culture are at best limited. I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and in his values … Every speech should contain the line you were born in the middle of America to the middle class in the middle of the last century … Let’s explicitly own ‘American’ in our programs, the speeches and the values. He doesn’t.

In any good society, honesty is the best policy. Bernie Sanders is a genuinely honest man who has proven that he wants the best for his country by maintaining his views even in the face of harsh criticism.  He has many supporters and, although it is unlikely that he will win the Democratic nomination for president, he has run a campaign worthy of respect.

See student opinions in the video below