• Wildcat News Debuts

• To return to the NFA home page, click on the LINK located at the top left of the NFA Student Media home page.

Senior Ray Wang in the Running for All-American Volleyball Honors

Owen Smith, Staff Writer

NFA Senior volleyball player Ray Wang has been recognized as 1 of 217 high school student athletes on the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) national watch list. From this list, 20 All-Americans will be chosen in June, with 10 going to a First-Team, and 10 to a Second-Team.

Wang is truly an All-American talent according to Head Boys Volleyball Coach Ryan Czaja. “At this level, to have all of these skills come together, there’s definitely a lot of good things going his way as a volleyball player.”

Coach Czaja is not the only person who has taken notice of Wang’s abilities on the court.

“Scouts are coming, players from opposing teams are stopping what they’re doing just to watch him hit,” said Czaja. “During games when Ray gets a set, everyone is just waiting to see what happens next.”

Wang’s skill set is impressive, and he wreaks havoc on opposing defenses. Fellow senior Maloyid Perkins sees this talent firsthand.

“Whoever we play against can’t stop him. They’ll put three people on him, and they still can’t stop him,” commented Perkins.  

Earlier in the season during a match against Xavier, after a failed serve, Xavier coach John Post was heard telling his players, “Alright, you survived.” “Survive” is all opponents can hope to do when up against Wang’s wide range of skills.

Wang’s skills as a player are matched only by his superb leadership skills. He is always giving fellow teammates tips, and he can be heard over everyone else on the court. On Wang’s leadership skills, Perkins said, “He taught me how to set and serve, and he’s really the reason I am where I am in this sport.”

Wang, who transferred from China to NFA as a sophomore, broke the NFA record for kills and aces. He had a knee injury his junior season, which hindered his ability to repeat his successful first season but according to Czaja, “He’s here from the start, and nothing is stopping him from having another great season.”

Wang is modest, saying, “It’s not huge for me, I just want to help the team win some games.” But opponents, teammates, coaches, and fans recognize him as a unique, special talent who they believe deserves recognition as an All-American in June.