• Wildcat News

• To return to the NFA home page, click on the LINK located at the top left of the NFA Student Media home page.

Briggs is Bringing his Pitching to UConn

Shea Gendron, Staff Writer

Franklin native and NFA senior, Tyler Briggs has been playing baseball since he was 5 years old. Starting with the Sprague Franklin Canterbury little league program, Briggs then moved on to playing with the Shoreline Hammerheads and began his travel baseball career.

Once in high school, Briggs made varsity his freshman year, and occasionally came in to the game to pitch. Now Briggs, a senior, with a top pitching speed of 91 mph, is committed to pitch on the University of Connecticut’s baseball team next year.

“NFA is home, and I have such a good bond with my teammates and coaches. When we are together I feel a sense of brotherhood and comfort,” Briggs said.

Briggs credits his success to his last travel ball season with the Shoreline Hammerheads; he believes that they were the reason he was scouted by UConn. “I did really well pitching, and the UConn coach was there; and I guess he liked what he saw.”

“I’m really excited to play at UConn next year.  It is a great opportunity to further my educational and baseball career.  I may be undecided right now, but I do know I want to be in the business field, and I appreciate baseball for allowing me to get into a good college to be able to figure everything out,” said Briggs.

“My favorite memory of all four years at NFA was definitely winning the ECC tournament my sophomore year against Waterford.  Being able to pitch the last two innings and being in the middle of the celebration was awesome,” Briggs explained.

Teammate, Jordan Lake, values the time he has had with Briggs.

“I’m proud that I was able to play with such an amazing athlete-playing with him through little league, AAU, and all the way to my senior year of high school. I could not be more proud of Tyler and how fun it was to be able to play with him and call him my teammate,” said Lake.

Additional NFA Student Athletes Planning to Play Sports in College:

Shea McManaway, Endicott (Football)

Aidan Miller, Oberlin (Basketball)

Malik Gibson, UMass Dartmouth (Football)

Kayley Ericson, Hartwick College (Volleyball and Basketball)

Alec Gomes, UConn Avery Point (Basketball)

Maloyid Perkins, UConn Avery Point (Basketball)

Brenden Sholes, UConn Avery Point (Basketball)