• Wildcat News

• To return to the NFA home page, click on the LINK located at the top left of the NFA Student Media home page.

Boys Basketball Wants a Championship

Owen Smith, Staff Writer

Practicing hard, taking academics seriously, and representing the school in a first class fashion are the ingredients in the recipe for success. In his fifth year, head Boys Basketball coach Chris Guisti thinks this year’s team has what it takes to make a run in the ECC and State tournaments.

Not only does the team have six experienced returning seniors, but it has welcomed 6’6″ senior transfer from Waterford, Bret Wood. Wood has some championship experience, having played in last year’s game against Ledyard.

Wood’s advice for his team if they make it that far? “I’d just tell everyone to stay calm.  There’s thousands and thousands of people there, so it’s a crazy atmosphere. Stay calm, and it won’t affect them.”

Xavier Marquez, a lower who expects to get some varsity minutes, has to make a big adjustment from last year on the freshman team. “Last year was more relaxed. This year we’re upbeat, working hard.”

Even though the team has not been practicing for long, Marquez has confidence in his team.  “I think we’re gonna make it far this year; we’ve got a lot of work to do,” said Marquez.

While the team is confident in their abilities, they’ll have to overcome “one of the toughest schedules in the history of NFA,” according to Guisti. “We’ve got a lot of tough out-of-conference games, as well as some tough in-conference competition. We’re NFA, so we always get everyone’s best.”

In addition to the tough schedule, the team has a different look from last year.

“Last season we had a lot of height; this year, we’re kinda small so we just have to focus on not making mistakes and not turning the ball over,” said upper Nik Hay.

Although the team lost a couple of standout stars from last season, who have since left for other schools, Wood thinks things will be different this year.  “I think we’ll all come together this year, we’re all playing to win, not for individual success.”

With a strong head coach, experience, and promising young talent, the NFA Varsity boys basketball team feel that they are set up to win.